The programme is offered by the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and focuses on the hydrological system and its societal impacts: climate change, floods, drought, water pollution.
As one of the highest scoring programmes in the Netherlands, the MSc Hydrology received the predicate 'top-opleiding'. The programme offers a unique fieldwork course and teaches students to use field measurements to tackle water management issues and estimate economic impacts from changes in hydrology.
MSc Hydrology Research Projects and Internships 2017
Hydrology students have the possibility to choose one of the following projects for their MSc thesis. Below is an informational presentation with available subjects.
- Field study in Kenya to water harvesting: Effects of water harvesting systems on water availability and crop production
- Risicobenadering voor droogte in Nederland – Regionale pilot bij waterschap Vallei en Veluwe Stage-/afstudeerderonderzoek bij Waterschap Vallei en Veluwe en Deltares (in Dutch)
- Using probabilistic weather forecasting in local water management
- Internship on extreme precipitation at Deltares
- Internship on downscaling global data at Weather Impact
- Long term carbon measurements at Horstermeer peatland
- Ammonia experiment in Dronten (ECN)
- Hydrological model development
- Carbon capture and storage in wetlands
- Model study "Vosdonk-Noord, Etten-Leur"
- Catchment modelling with WFlow, Acacia Water
- Model and data inventory project at Deltares
- Savanna fire emissions based on native resolution satellite data
- Drought and fires in the boreal region
- Thesis project at KWR/Deltares on diffuse discharge
- Thesis projects related to water security and drought
- How does salt affect soil physical properties of peat?
- Floating fen hydrology
- Remote Sensing Thesis Projects at Transmissivity B.V. (Noordwijk NL)
- Assessing the impact of extreme sea level rise on global flood risk
- Flood Risk in Calgary
- Pluvial flooding and green measures in Amsterdam
- Global runoff and sediment modelling
- Integration of water quality in regional hydrological model
- Thesis projects related to microbiology and hydrochemistry
- Thesis projects on aquatic ecotoxicology
A complete description of all projects is available here: